I'm really into masking at the moment. I mask all sorts of images so the other night I thought I'd get out my T.H. Distress ink pads, some stamps, (Tattered Angels Screen Prints) wipe the dust off my glimmer mists and have a go. I also used a Tim Holtz mask of a crown, but I was disappointed. I couldn't get on with it at all and I've never done well with the glimmer mists. They promptly went back on the shelf to gather dust for another year. The crown looked appalling and just didn't blend well enough with the owl so I tossed it. Tonight I got it out again and tried to figure out how to salvage it, so I ended up using the mask as a template, drawing round it and cutting it out. It's still not good. Anyhow, this is what it ended up like...one of my less than perfect pieces, the crown is too dark now.
I thought I'd have another go and do a better one. The tags are lovely thick chipboard tags and the distress inks work well on them. This time, I stamped a crown, masked the owl and crown and stamped the text. His eyes are watch parts covered with diamond glaze. This isn't what I wanted when I started out, but it's where my stamps took me, lol. A Right Royal Hoot was born. :o)
4 hours ago